This content may contain links to products and services. Please assume all such links are affiliate links which may result in me earning a commission (at no extra cost to you).
Cribs come in all shapes and sizes, but there are certain guidelines manufacturers must adhere to in order for their products to be deemed safe for the public. For example, there is a limit on how much lead can be used in paint or crib component, and the crib must be tested by an accredited third party laboratory. Furthermore, there are also guidelines on the size of cribs.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), a full-size crib should have interior dimensions of:
- Width: 28 inches (with a tolerated range of 5/8 inch)
- Length: 52 3/8 inches (also plus or minus 5/8 inch)
In this article, let’s look at crib dimensions in more detail, including some of the sizes of the most popular models.
What size is a full-size crib?
Given that a full-size crib should have the dimensions listed above (as per the CPSC guidelines), here are some other key measurements that all manufacturers should bear in mind.
How high are the crib sides in a full-size crib?
The minimum distance from the top of the crib side rail to the top of the mattress support should be at least 26 inches. Given that crib mattresses should not be thicker than 6 inches (see below), this means that the actual height of the crib side should be no less than 20 inches from the top of the mattress.
Examples – Sizes of popular full-size cribs
Here is a list of some of the most popular cribs and their dimensions.
- Dream On Me Synergy 5-in-1 Convertible Crib: 53.0″ L x 29.0″ W x 39.0″ H
- Babyletto Hudson 3-in-1 Convertible Crib: 53.75” L x 29.75” W x 35” H
- Delta Children Emery Deluxe 6-in-1 Convertible Crib: 55.5″ L x 30.25″ W x 43.5″ H
- Delta Children Canton 4-in-1 Convertible Crib: 54.25″ W x 35.25″ W x 43.25″ H
- DaVinci Kalani 4-in-1 Convertible Crib: 54.5” W x 35” W x 42” H
Dream On Me Synergy 5-in-1 Convertible Crib
You can see that there isn’t a massive difference between all of them in terms of their size. However, it’s important to state that these are most likely the total exterior dimensions of the crib, not interior, which is why they are slightly bigger than the dimensions set out by the CPSC.
What size is a mini-crib?
There are also CPSC guidelines for the size of non-full-size baby cribs. However, for these it’s more a case of how they should be defined in terms of the dimensions. They state that the interior length dimension should be greater than 55 inches or smaller than 49 3/4 inches, and the width should be greater than 30 5/8 inches or smaller than 25 3/8 inches.
Therefore a crib is considered a mini crib if it has interior dimensions:
- smaller than 49 ¾ inches in length and 25 3/8 inches in width.
Examples – Mini-crib sizes
Here are some of the best-selling mini cribs and their dimensions.
- Dream On Me Aden 4-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib: 39” L x 23” W x 36” H
- Dream On Me Edgewood 4-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib: 39” L x 28” W x 37”H
- DaVinci Dylan Folding Portable 3-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib: 40.35” L x 25.08” W x 40.9” H
- Delta Children Folding Portable Mini Baby Crib: 39” L x 25” W x 37.25” H
- Dream On Me Bellport 4 in 1 Convertible Mini/Portable Crib: 40”L x 25”W x 33”H
Dream On Me Edgewood 4-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib
What size are crib and changer combos?
A crib and changer combo is a great space saving option if you want a changer, a crib and some storage in one product, rather than buying them all separately. However, as you would expect the interior dimensions are going to be very similar to a full-size standard or convertible crib (see above).
Examples – Crib and changer combo dimensions
Here are some popular crib and changer combo products and their dimensions.
- Dream On Me Jayden 4-in-1 Mini Convertible Crib And Changer: 56.75” L x 29” W x 41”H
- Graco Hadley 4 in 1 Convertible Crib Changer: 71.67” L x 29.92” W x 39.76” H
- Dream On Me 5-in-1 Brody Convertible Crib with Changer: 69” L x 33.2” W x 39.1” H
- Graco Solano 4-in-1 Convertible Crib with Drawer and Changer: 72.1” L x 29.5” W x 41.7” H
- DaVinci Kalani 4-in-1 Convertible Crib and Changer Combo: 71.75” L x 34.25” W x 39.75” H
Dream On Me Jayden 4-in-1 Mini Convertible Crib And Changer
What size are crib mattresses?
In a full-size crib, the crib mattress must be at least 51 1/4 inches x 27 1/4 inches, with a thickness not greater than 6 inches.
Examples – Crib mattress sizes
Here are some crib mattress sizes from some of the best selling products on Amazon:
- Graco Premium Foam Crib & Toddler Mattress: 52” L x 27.6” W x 5” H
- Newton Baby Crib Mattress and Toddler Bed: 52” L x 28” L x 5.5” H
- Dream On Me Twilight 5” 80 Coil Inner Spring Crib and Toddler Mattress: 52” L X 28”W X 5”H
- Serta Perfect Slumber Dual Sided Crib and Toddler Mattress: 52″ L x 27.5″ W x 5″ H
- Bubble bear Premium Foam Breathable Crib Mattress: 52” L x 27.6” W x 5” H
As you can see here all the crib mattress manufacturers adhere to the CPSC guidelines, ensuring the thickness is less than 6” and the length and width are basically the same, ensuring a snug fit inside any full-size crib.
Why are their regulations on the size of cribs?
The CPSC put in place some guidelines for the interior dimensions of a crib in order to prevent any serious injuries or falls due to broken parts or not assembling the product correctly. Basically the regulations exist to protect babies. Furthermore, it’s possible without some guidance on the interior dimensions on full-size cribs and mini-cribs, some consumers may use the wrong size crib for their babies.
If space is an issue in your baby’s room, you might want to consider some other options. A floor bed takes up a little less space as it’s essentially just a mattress on a floor, without a bulky wooden or metal frame around the sides. You can also consider a travel crib or co-sleeper.
Graham is a father of two who founded Dadometer to share his parenting journey with other moms and dads.